Our First Foster

So here is the story of our Bruce and how he became part of our new, little family...

Foster Failure...I've seen this term used around the Blog-a-verse and it definitely applies to me and BossMan. It simply means that we are weak humans who selfishly keep a foster dog for their own pleasure. PATHETIC I tell you, just PATHETIC! Ok well all kidding aside, our first foster turned into our furrever baby (see what I did there) after only 2 days.

The blame can be handed out evenly, 50/50. I can't blame BossMan because honestly he didn't even know what hit him when this all started. He was DUPED, HOODWINKED, SWINDLED, etc. We blame Bruce because he was such a good foster and because he seemed to make himself at home quite quickly. He just fit in with us. The rest of the blame goes to me. I take only half of the responsibility. Yes, I indeed conned BossMan into "fostering" with the underlying intent to get a dog.

It's not like I had this planned for a long time. I mean we knew we wanted a dog but didn't think we would for a while since we had recently been married and were still in the midst of budgeting (mortgage, food, insurance, blah blah blah). A dog wasn't really a line item.

Then one day a friend posted picture of a sweet pit bull mix with a big ol' head and two different colored eyes. I saw the picture and instantly melted for this boy. Then I read the caption. He needed to get out of the shelter, he had been in too long. Adoption or foster was welcome as long as someone could just offer a home for him.

So the wheels started turning. I clung onto the word "foster" and called BossMan. It was the Thursday before Thanksgiving, we had been married for less than 2 months and like I said a dog wasn't quite in the budget... but nothing good ever is, right? I told BossMan that we just needed to get him out to save his life. I told him I would market Bruce so he can go to a good home. I told him Bruce would be my responsibility. I told him a lot of things, ha! I also sent him the YouTube video that the shelter posted to market him intially. I think that's what got BossMan on board. Things went into motion and by the next evening BossMan and I were on our way to San Jose Animal Care Center to pick up Bruce.

We could not get him out of the shelter since Bruce was no longer adoptable and put on death row (for showing signs of kennel stress and growling). We had the help of an amazing gal who runs San Jose Animal Advocates! Since she is with a rescue group she was able to bail Bruce out for us. By the way, she is amazing! What a gift she has!

We met her in the front of the shelter where she had Bruce patiently waiting. Introductions were made a bag of goodies were handed our way, and we got Bruce in the car.

And we were off with our new foster doggy. I sat in the back seat while BossMan drove us home. Bruce was a total mess in the car; crying and carrying on to no end. He also smelled like pee and needed a bath. I guess I would be a little uncomfortable also if I smelled like a dog pissed on me.

The next day I gave Bruce a bath, walked him, and just snuggled with him (snuggling is his favorite of those three).

The fostering of Bruce lasted for 2 days. By day three Bruce had won me over (ok it was really by second 2.3286 not day 3) and won BossMan over tenfold. We made it official, signed the adoption agreement and the rest is history. We were unofficially tagged as foster failures.

So in case you weren't sure, I am crazy about dogs, crazy in general, conniving when it matters and I'm sticking to it!
 
First moments home

Scared shitless in the car- typical Bruce

Loves his daddy
 

Did I mention he loves his daddy?
 

And he love his mommy too

Doesn't love being outside
 

Once the adoption was official, BossMan and I bought Bruce a sweater and built him a badass dog house! He digs both.

Always snuggling
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlie Girl

A Year Ago

Louie