The Big Bad Crate Monster Has Been Slain

I really never thought I would see the day. But I did and it was magical. When we were all in Colorado last month I watched Bruce walk right into his crate and lay down. I wasn't enticing him with his dinner or throwing any high-value treats in there either. He just went right in and took a nap. I about fell over in my chair, trying to get up to grab my camera to take a picture without spilling my beer!


And ever since we've been home and had Lola the crate has sat in our dining room with the door open. Bruce seemed to figure out that it's actually relaxing in there and he can get a real good nap in when used.

I credit this sudden acceptance (slaying of the Big Bad Crate Monster) to two factors.

First off, before our trip I started feeding Bruce in the crate. I would slide his food bowl all the way in the back of the crate so he had to climb all the way in to get his food. This got him more and more comfortable with being inside. I never shut the door on him but I did walk away to get him to know he can be by himself in the crate. I wanted him to trust me fully when it came to this "scary creature".

The second thing that I think helped Bruce with his fear was seeing Lola so comfy and cozy in the crate. Lola loves her the crate and Bruce often sees her in the morning crawling out of her crate with all four limbs and not at all worse for the wear.

It amazes me how smart these animals are and how they can teach each other things just by a looks or a vibe. It all comes down to trust in us humans though. A relationship with a dog has to start with trust in order to grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlie Girl

A Year Ago

Louie